Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Language Learning

Akum oltay!

The language I am learning is Oromo. Like Spanish, they switch their sentence structure. Unlike Spanish, I am unfamiliar with certain sounds the language makes.

I have been having a blast learning a new language. We have hour long lessons every morning, Monday-Friday. At least 5 minutes of this time is used for laughing, unintentionally. Sometimes you just really mess up what you are trying to say. Here's an example:

We were learning how to invite someone over for tea. I said: "Would you like to come over to drink my house?" The kicker is this: I was talking in English, not Oromo.

Let me tell you, learning a new language is something else. You forget how to speak your own language. And it can be quite hilarious.

Here are some words, spelled how they sound, that I have learned and can think of right now (and I think they are right, buuut....you know, I could be wrong):

Akum oltay: greeting for after noon
akum bultay: greeting for before noon
akum oltan: greeting an older person, or multiple people for after noon
akum bultan: greeting an older person, or multiple for before noon
akakayou: grandpa
ako: grandma
hida dhu: mother
abuh: father
inteluh: daugher
mucha: baby
ray tea: goat
coh fee ya: hat
con colata: car
con colata fay um sa: truck
boyay: pig
kay-lo: yellow
cho co leesa: blue
gurracha: black
deema: red
magadisa: green

Okay, that's enough. I know a lot more than that! And!! I can follow a few commands, like stand up, sit down, put the red marker on/under/beside the table. Oh ya, we are learning a lot of Oromo.

Pray that we all continue to learn at a great pace. Pray that we are accurate, patient, and continue to find the joy in our mistakes. Finally, pray that our language tutor, Kalbessa, sees Jesus in each of us (Kait, the family, and I) and we are an encouragement to him in his faith.

Nagan olee! (Good bye for after noon to multiple people, I think.) :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment